Before your Glycolic Peel
- Sensitive clients may use products containing Glycolic ingredients for 1- 2 weeks prior to a peel to prep the skin in advance of your professional peel.
- Avoid using Glycolic products for at least 12 hours prior to your peel.
- Discontinue use of the drug retinoid (Retin A) topical acne medication for 24hrs prior.
- Women: Avoid waxing, electrolysis or other methods of depilatories for 48 hrs
- Men: Do not shave immediately before a facial peel.
Aftercare Advice- Glycolic Peels
- Avoid using Glycolic products on the day of you peel. Wait 24 hours before resuming their use.
- No sweating for 24 hours i.e. gym workouts etc, because it can sweat the glycolic out of the skin, which can cause irritation.
- Glycolic peels draw impurities out of the skin, so a breakout is a good sign of the skin clearing itself out.
- Use of glycolic products, throughout the course of peels, to keep skin acclimatised to the product & also increases effectiveness of the peels.
- Continued use of glycolic products is recommended to maintain your results.
- Make up application is not permitted for 24 hours after a peel, however a mineral based make up is acceptable immediately afterwards as it wont clog your pores or irritate skin.
- A daily mineral sunscreen SPF 20 + is absolutely essential, as glycolic peels away the top protective layer of dead skin cells, which protect skin from the suns damaging rays.
- Do not use your Glycolic product, for 12 hours after your salon peel.
- Maintenance Peels are recommended every 4 weeks. You must make sure you are using glycolic homecare before you can have a maintenance peel.
- Be prepared to see & feel changes to the skin– do not be alarmed, sometimes the skin looks & feels worse (dry, tight, & peeling) before improvements occur. The complete course of 6 peels must be completed for full benefit.
- Consult the clinic if you have any worries or concerns about your skin during the treatment. Different people will experience changes to the skin
- Do not peel flaky skin or squeeze any spots that may appear.
You may Experience
- A slight tingling sensation after applying a glycolic product. It lasts a few minutes
- A slight dryness of the skin for the first few weeks. This is actually an invisible peeling process & is a way in which the glycolic has a beneficial effect on the skin. This can be easily managed with a hydrating serum i.e. Phytoceuticals icy blue serum or Velvet Gel.